Saturday 25 March 2017

Soham ( सोहम् )...I Am That.... I and the Father are one


In verse 62, Chaper 18, Sanyas Yoga,  of Shrimadbhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna advises Arjuna to seek shelter in the the God to attain eternal peace , while in verse 65 of the same chapter of Gita, Lord Krishna advises Arjuna to surrender the self to the Lord Himself. This  conveys a deeper meaning that the "Self" should absorb in the God within the "Self" to attain the eternal peace & jeevan mukti (liberation). These verses are;

तमेव शरणं गच्छ सर्वभावेन भारत |
तत्प्रसादात्परां शान्तिं स्थानं प्राप्स्यसि शाश्वतम् || 62||

Meaning - O' Descendents of Bharat, Surrender exclusively unto him with your whole being. By his grace, you will attain perfect peace and the eternal abode.

मन्मना भव मद्भक्तो मद्याजी मां नमस्कुरु |
मामेवैष्यसि सत्यं ते प्रतिजाने प्रियोऽसि मे || 65||

Meaning - Always think of me, absorb in me, become my  devotee; worship me, and offer obeisance to me. Doing so, you will certainly come to me. This is my pledge to you, for you are very dear to me.

The word "me" has two meanings here; one is the "Supreme Lord, Bhagwan Krishna Himself" and the other is the "Self' within every seeker.

These verses appear to be conveying different messages, first to surrender the self to the God and later to surrender to the Self. However, the two messages have no contradiction but both the messages convey  unity leading to emancipation of the self by realizing the Lord within the self.

The deeper metaphysical meaning of the verse 65 is entwined with the spiritual interpretation of verse 62 wherein Lord Krishna asks Arjuna to take shelter in God remembering Him. In verse 62, Arjuna is advised to concentrate on God as cosmic spirit while in verse 65 he is exhorted to concentrate on God as "Myself" or the "Self".

The God as the spirit is the origin and end of all beings which is indeed the ultimate knowledge. However, the knowledge of God is possible only when the devotee realises first the "Self", wherein and outside, the same spirit is present. By meditating deeply on the Lord, leaving the ego consciousness, the devotee realises the Lord within the self. The same truth is pronounced by the word "Soham" (I am He, I am That) in the vedic scripture which says that the I, the soul is the same as that the all powerful, omnipotent, omniscient Spirit. The same truth was also voiced by Jesus when he said; "... Believe me that I am the Father, and the Father in me." Jesus further said that "I and the Father are one"; meaning the same Lord is present within me.

The essence of Gita, the vedic scripture "Soham" and that of Bible are thus conveying unity and are unifying the eternal truth that all existence in the universe and the self within each one of us is the Supreme Spirit, the Lord.

And thus for liberation of the Soul, one has to put the God first always in life to receive His liberating grace and eternal bliss.

Om Tat Sat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nyay or Anyay

Is it a Nyay Yojana or AnyayYojana?  Congress sets it's desperate game plan to come to power at any cost, not at any cost to itself b...